Sunscreens alone only protect skin from 55% of the damage from the sun, however when combined with a topical antioxidant, the skin is offered up to 96% protection.
Effectively formulated antioxidants can help neutralise UV induced free radicals not blocked by sunscreens
Protecting the skin from UV light is essential to the prevention of premature ageing and skin cancers. The level of protection provided by a sunscreen is defined as its sun protection factor (SPF) from UV light. However sunscreens don’t protect you from the damaging effects of free radicals. Free radicals are natural by-products that can be triggered by pollutants, sunlight, stress, smoking and excessive alcohol consumption. If left untreated, free radicals damage surrounding healthy cells, break down collagen, accelerate ageing and even contribute to skin cancer.
Neutralising free radicals with antioxidant serums
Antioxidants can be applied topically in the forms of serums or creams. Topical antioxidant serums such as SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF or SkinCeuticals - C E Ferulic help neutralise free radicals, lighten skin, stimulate collagen and are anti-inflammatory as well as improve overall skin health. You only need to apply it once a day and it can't be washed off or rubbed off.
Antioxidants are also found in many other Cosmeceutical skincare brands such as:
- • Jan Marini has the C-ESTA range containing superior Vitamin C formula for anti-ageing benefits.
- • NeoStrata combine Glycolic acid and antioxidant ingredients in their products.
- • Mene and Moy products contain powerful concentrations of Vitamin C to protect the skin.
Today, antioxidants play a central role in skincare, and they're one of the three fundamental ingredients recommended by a dermatologist next to sunscreen and moisturisers. Although sunscreen protection is an essential tool in the process of preventing skin damage from UV light, antioxidants work in a different way to prevent skin damage and promote healthy skin and of course continue to provide benefits at night. Topical antioxidants are are not a replacement for sunscreens in protecting yourself from premature ageing, sun damage and skin cancer.
Using an antioxidant treatment and a broad-spectrum sunscreen can be one of the most effective ways to protect yourself from premature ageing and to improve existing environmental damage on your skin. Used together provides excellent protection allowing you to tan safely and keep sun related damage to a minmum.
- Protects against free radicals
- corrects existing damage
- encourages a more youthful, firm appearance
- suitable for oily, problematic and normal skin.
- Multiple award-winning antioxidant product
- provides unprecendented anti-aging benefits
- suitable for normal to dry skin.
- Aids skin rejuvenation
- Leaves skin feeling dramatically softer and smoother
- Light, completely absorbed formulation
- Suitable for all skin types.