Are you currently struggling with dry, chapped lips? Don't worry, you're not alone! This is one of the most common skincare concerns and can happen at any time of year, but it's especially prevalent during the colder months. If you're looking for expert advice and product recommendations on how to properly care for your dry lips, keep reading. Our team of skincare professionals has got you covered.
LIP CARE 101
To maintain healthy lips, it's essential to understand their unique needs. Lips lack sebaceous glands, which means they cannot produce sebum for moisturizing purposes. As a result, they become prone to dryness and cracking, particularly when exposed to harsh weather conditions like strong winds or low temperatures. Additionally, the skin on the lips is thin and sensitive, making it susceptible to sun damage and weakening the skin barrier. It is crucial to provide both internal and external care for healthy lips. Drinking adequate water and consuming a balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals can support the skin from within, while applying lip balms or ointments containing nourishing ingredients can protect and moisturise the lips externally.
FINDING THE RIGHT PRODUCTS
To achieve optimal lip care, one must consider more than just the application of a basic lip balm. Rather, it is crucial to select products that provide both protection and hydration. Look for ingredients such as Hyaluronic Acid and Panthenol in your lip care routine for effective results. It is important to note that many lip balms only offer occlusive properties, which create a barrier on the skin without providing any additional benefits. To ensure long-term lip health, it is recommended to use hydrating formulas underneath these occlusive balms. This approach will not only protect the lips from harsh weather conditions but also promote healing and maintain soft, supple lips.
For delicate, parched lips, it's essential to remove dead skin cells regularly to maintain their smoothness and enhance the absorption of moisturizing products. You can achieve this through the use of a lip scrub or by employing a soft cloth to gently exfoliate the area once a week. Additionally, remember to shield your lips from UV rays as they are thinner and more susceptible to damage than other areas of the face. Seek out lip balms and creams containing SPF to safeguard your lips all year round.
ADD THESE TO YOUR WISHLIST
• iS Clinical Lip Polish - this gently buffs away dead cells while antioxidants protect and butters strengthen the skin.
• SkinCeuticals Antioxidant Lip Repair - if you have really dry, dehydrated lips, this serum is amazing!
• Medik8 Mutiny Squalane Based Lip Balm - is a gel-like balm that instantly melts into an oil on the lips, providing both instant and long-lasting hydration.
• PCA Skin Overnight Lip Mask - apply this hydrating and nourishing lip mask before bed to wake up with softer, smoother lips in the morning.
• Eminence Organic Rosehip & Lemongrass Lip Balm SPF 15 - layer this balm over others or wear alone to protect against UV damage.
• Colorescience Sunforgettable Total Protection Colour Balm SPF50 - Hydrates and conditions the skin for healthier-looking lips and cheeks too!
• Colorescience Lip Shine SPF 35 - combine Sun protection, a touch of lip gloss , and just the right natural colour with this nourishing Lip Gloss.