What is Poikiloderma of Civatte?
Poikiloderma of Civatte refers to erythema associated with a mottled pigmentation and dilation of the fine blood vessels (telangiectasia) usually seen on sun exposed areas like cheeks and sides of the neck.
The exact cause of Poikiloderma of Civatte is unknown, some contributing factors that have been identified are:
- • Chronic sun exposure to ultravoilet lights is thought to be main contributing factor as it most commonly occurs on sun exposed areas.
- • Photosensitizing agents in perfumes and cosmetics.
- • Hormonal changes associated with low estrogen level or menopause have been suspected as it usually occurs in mid-age or old age groups women.
- • Some research have also suggested genetic inheritance.
Treatment for Poikiloderma of Civatte
Some types of laser therapy like IPL may improve the appearance of this condition.
With regards to treatment then using pigment lightening products may help with the discolouration (kojic acid, azelaic acid, licorice, sabi white, mulberry & skin brightening peptides).
Avoid all other cosmetics and perfumes on affected areas.
Visit the Dermnet NZ website for more information on Poikiloderma of Civatte.
Only available for sale to customers living in the UK and Ireland
- Previously known as Red Alert
- New Packaging, Same Formula
- Intensive, calming relief for redness and flare-ups
- Stimulates healing of the inner epidermis to prevent future irritation
- Fragrance-free, no parabens
- Suitable for hyper-sensitive and erythematous skin types.
•Reduces the appearance of redness and flushing by up to 30%
•Helps to improve skin smoothness by more than 55%
•Helps to enhance radiance by more than 30%
•High performance formulation tested on sensitive skin.
•Non comedogenic treatment that is free from parabens, fragrances, dyes and alcohol.