The way you treat your skin can have an influence on the severity of your seborrheic dermatitis and can even help keep the condition under control.
Here are my skincare tips to help manage Seborrheic Dermatitis:
- Cleansing is vital to removing the excess surface oil.
- Make sure to use very gentle products that won't dry out or irritate your skin.
- Keep your skin well cleansed by using a mild exfoliating product designed for sensitivity.
- Salicylic acid (BHA) is a chemical exfoliator that dissolves the bonds between skin cells to help remove old tissue. For seborrheic dermatitis sufferers, exfoliation is critical to helping remove dead skin cells. Salicylic acid also has a calming, anti-inflammatory effect on the skin to help reduce the redness.
- Shave! Body hair, including beards and moustaches, can make the symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis worse. Removing hair on affected areas of skin can improve this condition.
- Wearing cotton clothing that is breathable and lets air reach your skin to avoid irritating your skin.
- Avoid alcohol in products you use on your face. Although alcohol does degrease oily skin, it is so drying and irritating that it actually triggers increased oil production, which is the last thing you need if you're suffering from seborrheic dermatitis
- Along with gentle skin care and a well-formulated BHA exfoliants, you also can consider a topical treatment called Sebclair. Sebclair® is a non-steroidal range of clinically proven products specifically designed to manage the signs and symptoms of seborrhoeic dermatitis (SD), which has demonstrated both anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties. Sebclair® helps relieve the itching, burning, scaling and pain experienced with seborrhoeic dermatitis.
- When washing your hair with treatment shampoos, massage the scalp to remove any scales then rinse thoroughly. When you apply conditioner, take care to apply it only to your hair, and not to your scalp, as conditioner has emollient ingredients that can cause skin cells to build up and prevent shedding.
Our NeoStrata PHA range provides moisture, antioxidant benefits and exfoliation
Neostrata Bionic Face Cream (for severely dry skin)
Neostrata Bionic Face Lotion (prefer lotion rather than a cream)