Step 2 - Rejuvenate/Antioxidants
Exposure to environmental elements like sunlight, smoke and air pollution causes environmental damage on skin. This leads to formation of lines, wrinkles and discolouration. Antioxidants effectively neutralize free radicals generated when skin is exposed to environmental insults.Antioxidants can make the skin look even-toned and youthful by combating the free-radical damage that is responsible for the visible signs of aging including discoloration, wrinkles, and dullness.
When used together, antioxidants and sunscreens provide enhanced photoprotection - protecting the skin from signs of premature aging, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and promoting healthy looking skin and beauty.
Antioxidants are the naturally occurring substances that offer protection against the damaging effects of free radicals on the skin cells. Top antioxidants that help to fight skin aging are:
- Vitamin E: It is one of the well-known antioxidants and protects the cell membrane from the oxidative damage from the UV rays.
- Vitamin C: It is an effective antioxidant that treats wrinkles, brown spots, reduces inflammation, redness, and dullness. It works because it enhances the collagen production, which fights against wrinkles.
- Retinol: It helps in protecting the skin by increasing the production of the skin-support substance known as ceramides. Retinol increases the production of collagen and gives a firmer skin.
- Green Tea: It is effective as it contains catechins, which are antioxidants that can clear cell damage on the skin. It also repairs blemishes and wrinkles.
- Lycopene: It is a power antioxidant as it promotes the production of collagen and reduces the DNA damage that leads to wrinkles.
Benefits of Antioxidants in skin care:
- Anti-inflammation: The main advantage of using antioxidants in skin care products is to calm the inflammation. The antioxidants like alpha lipoic acid have anti-inflammatory properties and increase the circulation and cell metabolism. Some antioxidants also promote even skin tone and keep wrinkles and acne at bay.
- Reduced appearance of wrinkles: Antioxidants help in making the skin look plump and youthful. Serums and creams with Vitamin C and E are beneficial to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Skin firming: Another advantage of antioxidants is that they firm the skin by reducing the signs of ageing and rejuvenating the appearance.
- Fight Sun Damage: Sun is harsh for our skin as it damages the skin cells. Sun damage makes the skin wrinkly and rough. Antioxidants make the skin look younger as it stimulates the blood flow and encourages the growth of new cells. Antioxidants also enhance the effectiveness of the sunscreen as they prevent the sun damage.
- Treat scars: Reducing the appearance of scars is another benefit of antioxidants. The cell structure of the scar tissues is different than normal skin. It is rigid. Antioxidants increase the blood flow to the scar tissues and minimize the look of the scar.
Thus, it is suggested to look for skin care products that contain antioxidants as they help in keeping the skin healthy and reduce the appearance of signs of aging. You can find a range of antioxidant creams and serums to choose from keeping your skin type, condition, and active ingredients. For best results apply antioxidant cream or serum at night on your skin to aid the cellular repair and healing and visible benefits.
Antioxidants are also found in many of the other Cosmeceutical skincare brands. Neostrata and Mene and Moy products combine Glycolic acid and antioxidant ingredients in their products.
Please click here for further information on antioxidants.